Q. Why work with an Independent College Consultant?A. Certainly students can successfully apply to colleges without a consultant. However the growing complexity of the college process, most students are applying to ten or more schools. Complex and strategic decision making regarding early decision, early action, rolling and regular decision applications, drafting specialized essays, resumes, personal statements, and supplemental submissions, the process can easily overwhelm busy students and families. An experienced and knowledgeable educational consultant can help manage the process and increase the likelihood of successful outcomes.
Q. When should we contact a College Consultant?A. There’s no precise time to hire a college consultant. Some find it helpful to select and meet with a college admissions consultant as their student enters high school to obtain an overview of the process, a timeline of requirements, and insight into planning high school course selection. Some families instead begin mid-way through their student’s sophomore year to plan junior year courses and related AP and SAT testing, others wait until junior year to begin.
Q. Our school provides a guidance counselor. Why do we need a College Consultant?A. High school guidance counselor’s caseloads are enormous and often they deal with both college advising and social emotional issues of their student population. Working with a private college counselor allows for career exploration and assessment, exploring right-fit schools and planning a timeline and strategic approach.
Q. Why work with me?A. My style is relaxed, focused, sincere and caring while motivating students to showcase themselves and their aspirations. I seek to motive my student reflect honestly about themselves and sometimes this involves discovering attributes they never considered that can increase their options. Utilizing objective assessments we work to build realistic college choices and formulate successful application strategies.
With over 3500 schools in the US alone, the choices are vast. I have visited many schools and can share my insight. I will assist with your writing, analytical, advocacy and time management skills during this extremely busy time. Working together will minimize stress and optimize your ability to reach your goals and be successful in college and beyond.
Q. What services does the package include?A.I offer a comprehensive approach to navigating the college admissions process, including:
• Consult, based upon review of transcript, test scores, and other factors, regarding college list and visits
• Review application timetable, including planning strategy for early decision, early action, single choice early action, and rolling admission applications
• Plan strategy for college applications, including developing themes for academic interests, extracurricular activities, and personality focus
• Review, critique, and edit drafts of resume, Common Application essays (personal statement & meaningful activity essay) and all other college-specific supplementary essays
• Advise on recommendation and testing timetables and strategies, and prepare student for interviews
• Advise on deferral and wait-list strategies, as necessary
Q. It’s senior year and we need help! Is it too late?A. No! Depending on the circumstance, I can arrange a modified Fall Senior Package. Please recognize that early planning is always helpful; the fall months are extremely busy.
Q. How are parents kept informed?A. I work hard to keep parents informed about their students’ progress, including important deadlines and decisions. I am happy to speak by phone, email or in person for feedback.